This is a standard raw tuna (poke) salad served in most Hawaiian homes. Although unconventional, it is sure to please the more adventurous seafood lovers. Be sure to use fresh tuna for the very best flavor, although fresh frozen tuna will produce acceptable results. 2 h 15 m In a medium size non-reactive bowl, combine Ahi, soy sauce, green onions, sesame oil, sesame seeds, chili oil, and macadamia nuts; mix well. Refrigerate at least 2 hours before serving.
- 1 teaspoon dried hijiki or dried seaweed cut into slivers
- 12 ounces wide eye Ahi Tuna, Frozen, cut into 1/2-inch cubes, 340g
- 3 ounces sweet onion such as Maui or Vidalia, cut into 1/4-inch dice, 85g
- 1 scallion thinly sliced
- 1 teaspoon white or black sesame seeds or a mix, about 3g
- 4 teaspoons soy sauce more or less to taste, 20ml
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil more or less to taste, 10ml
- 1 teaspoon honey more or less to taste, 5ml
- 1 teaspoon Chile Oil or Sarachi to taste (optional)
- Sushi Steamed rice if eating as a meal
- 1 ounce or more Tobiko Squid Ink infused small fish eggs - similar to caviar
- 1 tablespoon rice wine vinegar or Mirin wine to taste
- 1 Avocado Sliced for garnish or salad
- 1 Mango Sliced for garnish or salad
- 1 bunch fried wanton wrappers - garnish
- 1 tbsn fried garlic or scallions (from an Asian market)
- 1 bunch edible flowers
- 1. Place wakame and hijiki in separate small bowls. Cover with boiling water and let rest until rehydrated and tender, about 5 minutes. Drain and press with paper towels. Roughly chop wakame. Add wakame and hijiki to a large bowl.2. Add tuna, onion, scallion, sesame seeds, soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, and optional crushed red pepper to bowl. Season with a small pinch of kosher salt and gently fold to combine. Taste and adjust with more soy sauce, sesame oil, honey, or crushed red pepper as desired. Let sit 5 minutes at room temperature, then serve on its own or on top of steamed rice.
- 3. The presentation is everything. Without it, it will not be appetizing.
Optional Ingredients: White Rice Brown Rice Organic Mixed Greens Fresh Salmon Ahi Tuna Hamachi Snow Crab Salad Shrimp Spicy Tuna Tofu Onion Cucumber Avocado Corn Edamame Mango Organic Tofu Scallion Jalapeno Masago Seaweed Salad Ginger/Wasabi Unagi Sauce Wasabi Mayo Spicy Mayo Sriracha Mixed Greens Haiga Rice Sunomono GF Marinated Bean Sprouts Edamame Guacamole GF Ginger Carrots Seaweed Salad Miso Kale Citrus Beets GF Furikake Edamame Pickled Ginger Furikake Edamame Sunomono GF Ginger Carrots GF Citrus Beets GF Pickled Ginger TORTILLA CHIPS ALBACORE SCALLOP OCTOPUS CORN JALAPENO CILANTRO KALE CUCUMBER SWEET ONION GREEN ONION PINEAPPLE EDAMAME SESAME OIL PONZU SPICY MAYO SWEET CHILI SRIRACHA WASABI SHOYU SHOYU CUCUMBER SALAD IMITATION CRAB SEAWEED SALAD AVOCADO GINGER WASABI MASAGO CRISPY ONION CRISPY GARLIC SESAME SEEDS FURIKAKE Tobiko (black is best but red is good too) Papaya
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!