Chicken and Sausage Cassoulet
Nothing says comfort food better than a casserole dish that’s slowly cooked and this Easy French Cassoulet Recipe is a perfect example. Juicy chicken, sausages, bacon and white beans simmer away in a broth spiked with vegetables, garlic and herbs. Originating in the south of France this casserole is a slowly simmered, all-in-one meal consisting of pan fried chicken pieces (although typically duck), sausages, thick pieces of pan fried pork belly (basically thick cut bacon pieces) and white beans.
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 lb pork belly cut into half inch pieces
- 2 lbs chicken thighs bone-in skin on
- black pepper
- 1 lb turkey sausage See Note 1
- 1 large onion diced
- 4 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp ground clove
- 2 stalks of celery chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 3 carrots peeled and chopped into 1 inch pieces
- 4-15 oz cans white cannellini beans drained
- 32 oz chicken stock
- 1 bunch thyme 12 pieces tied
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley chopped
- Preheat oven to 300°F.
- Season chicken liberally on skin sides with kosher salt and black pepper. Set aside.
- Place the chicken thighs skin side down and sear until a golden brown for several minutes. Turn and brown the other side. Remove from skillet and set aside.
- Brown the sausages on both sides in same skillet. Remove and set aide.
- Add the onion to the skillet and sauté for several minutes. Season with salt and pepper. Add the garlic and ground clove and cook another minute. Add the celery and carrots and cook for 3 minutes, scraping up the bottom of pan for any browned bits.
- Cook, uncovered for 1 hour and 15 minutes.
I used a spicy Louisiana turkey sausage, but feel free to use any turkey or pork sausage. Using a fork, prick several holes in the sausage on both sides.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!