This Pistachio Falafel Recipe is so satisfying and a fun twist on a traditional food. It can be baked, lightly fried or deep fried. These chickpea patties are loaded with fresh herb flavor and a perfect complement to salads, wraps, and more. Serve with a minty yogurt-tahini sauce for a satisfying lunch full of vegan protein!
- 1 cup dried chickpeas don't use canned, they are too soft
- 2/3 cup shelled pistachios roasted and salted
- 1/4 cup fresh mint minced, plus whole mint leaves for garnish
- 1/4 cup fresh parsley minced
- 1/4 cup diced onion
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil plus more as needed
- Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper
YOGURT TAHINI SAUCE:
- Pomegranate Red Currants, Cranberries or Shelled Pistasio seeds
- Mint leaves
- In a food processor fitted with the blade attachment, combine the pistachios, soaked chickpeas, mint, parsley, onion, coriander, cumin, baking soda, garlic and 1 tablespoon olive oil. Season with salt and pepper. Pulse the food processor until the mixture starts to come together, scraping down the sides every few pulses, making sure not to overblend. (You want it to have a slightly coarse texture; you do not want it to become a smooth paste.)
- Form the falafel mixture into balls about the size of a golf ball, then lightly press into discs. Place on a sheet tray.
- Heat the remaining 2 tablespoons olive oil in a large nonstick pan over a medium-high heat. Saute the falafel in batches, about 3 minutes on each side to caramelize. Transfer to the sheet pan with the rack and season with salt. Repeat as needed with more olive oil and the remaining falafel. Hold the falafel in the oven until ready to serve. Serve with the Yogurt Sauce, and sprinkle everything with the pomegranate seeds and whole mint leaves.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!