Morning Glory Baked Oatmeal
Warm and cozy, this big-batch baked oatmeal takes inspiration from those beloved hippie muffins known as morning glory. It’s loaded with grated carrot, cranberry, raisins, coconut chips, coconut and almond flour. Then seasoned with ginger and cinnamon. This recipe complies with Samin Norsats "SALT FAT ACID HEAT" method of making everything delicious.
- 1/2 Cup Melted Butter 1 stick
- 1 tsp Vanilla
- 2 tsp Cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp Nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cardamom optional
- 1 tsp ground ginger
- 1 tsp ground allspice or pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 Salt omit if using salted pecans
- 2 tsp Baking Powder
- 2 tsp Baking Soda
- 2 Eggs lightly beaten
- 3 1/2 Cups Milk
- 4 prepared small Fuji apples Peeled, cored, and sliced into match-sticks using a mandolin.
- 1/4 cup fresh cranberries Optional
- 1/4 cup raisins
- 1 cup Grated carrots
- 1 tbls Orange zest
- 1/2 cup Coconut Flour
- 1/2 cup Coconut Chips
- 1/2 cup Almond Flour
- 3 Cups Oatmeal (Regular or Steel Cut)- see notes
- 1 cup Planters Pecans (1 can of pecan halves) or toasted pecans optional - see notes
- 1/4 cup Log Cabin Sugar free syrup or real Maple Syrup
- 1/4 cup Sukrin Gold - Natural Brown Sugar Alternative or brown sugar
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F
- Melt butter in covered microwave dish on lowest power setting for 2 minutes.
- Add milk or the remaining cup of milk (if using pre-soaked steel oatmeal) and eggs and mix well using a whisk.
- Add the oatmeal and continue stirring the mixture until combined.
- Add the apples and combine. Add 1/2 cup of almonds. Then, using a large cooking spoon, fill 3/4 way or less into your baking dish(s). (We use 2 8x8 baking dishes and freeze one for later.)
- Cover the top of each dish with 1/2 cup of pecans, spray with butter spray make them tastier.
- Bake for about 45 minutes or until top is browned and crunchy looking.
- Serve with yogurt and fresh berries. Refrigerate the rest and warm in the microwave when serving. This dish can be frozen for later.
After making this addicting recipe, I like to use 2 cups of Oatmeal and 1 Cup of Cascadian Farms Organic Granola. If using Steel Cut Oatmeal, soak the oatmeal overnight in milk. If using un-toasted pecans, toast in pecans in the oven at 350 F for 15 minutes or until they get dark brown in a baking pan lined with parchment paper.
Calories: 326kcalCarbohydrates: 23gProtein: 8gFat: 24gSaturated Fat: 10gPolyunsaturated Fat: 3gMonounsaturated Fat: 7gTrans Fat: 1gCholesterol: 55mgSodium: 328mgPotassium: 280mgFiber: 6gSugar: 7gVitamin A: 2185IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 164mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!