Chewy rigatoni stands up perfectly to this supremely rich and flavorful carbonara.
- 6 ounces guanciale or pancetta cut into 1/4-inch dice
- 1 pound rigatoni
- 5 large egg yolks
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup freshly grated Pecorino Romano cheese
- 3/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- In a small skillet, cook the guanciale over moderately low heat, stirring occasionally, until the fat is rendered and the meat is tender, about 15 minutes. Let cool slightly.
- Meanwhile, in a large pot of salted boiling water, cook the pasta until al dente. Drain, reserving 1 cup of the cooking water.
- In a large bowl, whisk the egg yolks and egg with the guanciale and the rendered fat. Add the pasta, 1/4 cup of the reserved pasta water and 2/3 cup of the cheese to the egg mixture and toss until creamy, about 1 minute; add more reserved cooking water if necessary. Add the crushed red pepper and season with salt and pepper. Serve in shallow bowls, sprinkled with the remaining cheese.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!