Chicken Shawarma is a popular gourmet sandwich that you can get at Middle Eastern restaurants. Marinated chicken chunks are mounted on a large rotating skewer and then roasted slowly to perfection against a gas burning grill. Due to the unavailability of such industrial roasters at homes, Chicken Shawarma has typically remained a restaurant dish. However we’ve learned a few tricks that can bring you the beautiful flavor of Chicken Shawarma home without the need of such roasters.
- 2 lb /1 kg chicken thigh fillets skinless and boneless (Note 3)
- 1 cup Greek yogurt
- 1 clove garlic crushed
- 1 tsp cumin
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Salt and pepper
- 6 flatbreads Lebanese or pita bread or soft flatbreads
- Sliced lettuce
- Tomato slices
- Combine the marinade ingredients in a large ziplock bag (or bowl).
- Add the chicken and use your hands to make sure each piece is coated. If using a ziplock bag, I find it convenient to close the bag then massage the bag to disperse the rub all over each chicken piece.
- Marinate overnight or up to 24 hours.
- Place chicken on the grill and cook the first side for 4 to 5 minutes until nicely charred, then turn and cook the other side for 3 to 4 minutes (the 2nd side takes less time).
- Remove chicken from the grill and cover loosely with foil. Set aside to rest for 5 minutes.
- TO SERVE
- Slice chicken and pile onto platter alongside flatbreads, Salad and the Yoghurt Sauce.
- To make a wrap, get a piece of flatbread and smear with Yoghurt Sauce. Top with a bit of lettuce and tomato and Chicken Shawarma. Roll up and enjoy!
This Middle Eastern chicken is incredibly aromatic. The marinade is very quick to prepare and the chicken can be frozen in the marinade, then defrosted prior to cooking. It is best cooked on the outdoor grill / BBQ, but I usually make it on the stove. Serve with a simple salad and flatbread laid out on a large platter and let your guests make their own wraps.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!