Mexican Shrimp Cocktail (Coctel de Camarones estilo Mexicano)
We prepared this refreshing shrimp cocktail for the family during the hot summer. Being a Mexican-American family, we always add Mexican hot sauce (such as Valentina® or Tapatio®) and serve with saltine crackers on the side. The trick is to start with well-chilled large shrimp (not over-cooked), ketchup, and tomato juice cocktail so it can be ready after only chilling 1 hour in the fridge. Top with additional hot sauce and avocado slices if desired. Enjoy!
Ingredients to cook the shrimp
- 24 long shrimp
- 1/2 onion any type
- 2 bay leaves
- 6 whole black peppers
- salt to taste
Ingredients to prepare the sauce
Vegetables for the cocktail:
- ½ onion onion of your choice
- 1 medium cucumber
- 3 tbsp chili peppers of your choice or hot sauce chopped
- ½ cup finely chopped Cilantro
- Clean and remove vein heads, tails, and shells from shrimp.
- Prepare a pot of boiling hot water and add onion, peppercorns and bay leaves. Cook for 5 minutes or until the onions begin to become soft. Add some salt to taste.
- Turn off the stove, add the shrimp and cover until the shrimp are cooked and white in color. Remove the shrimp and place them in an ice bath carefully without water.
- Reserve the leftover soup broth.
- Prepare the vegetables by dicing them each with the cucumber being very small.
- Add the vegetables to the bowl but not the avocado or Cilantro. Stir in the shrimp carefully and then add some of the reserved broth. dressing into shrimp mixture. add the vegetables largest first, then the Cilantro. Gently fold in avocados or use as a garnish.
- Cover and chill thoroughly, at least 1 hour.
Calories: 295kcalCarbohydrates: 17gProtein: 47gFat: 4gSaturated Fat: 1gCholesterol: 423mgSodium: 1954mgPotassium: 875mgFiber: 1gSugar: 9gVitamin A: 1250IUVitamin C: 63mgCalcium: 207mgIron: 2mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!