Huevos Divorciados / Mexican Eggs Benedict
These are both a "pair of eggs" separated. In the Mexican version the eggs are 'Divorced' One is with chili verde the other with chili rojo. The eggs divorced themselves because their owners (the married couple that like eggs in the morning, decided to call them just that. One like green chili the other red chili.
- 8 large eggs
- 8 small corn tortillas 6-inch diameter
- 4 tsp. butter divided
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups prepared refried pinto beans warmed
- 1/2 cup tomatillo or green salsa
- 1/2 cup tomato or red salsa
- 1/2 cup thinly sliced red onion
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- BAKE tortillas in a single layer on a large baking sheet in preheated 400°F oven for 7 to 10 minutes or until crispy.
- COOK eggs about 5 minutes or until whites are completely set and yolks begin to thicken but are not hard. SERVE as is or FLIP eggs carefully with spatula and COOK second side to desired doneness. SPRINKLE eggs lightly with salt and pepper. (Repeat method with remaining butter and 4 eggs, or prepare all 8 at once in two large nonstick skillets or on one large flat griddle.)
- SPREAD warm refried beans evenly over tortillas. SPOON tomatillo salsa over half the tortillas and tomato salsa over remaining tortillas. TOP each tortilla with one fried egg. TRANSFER one of each salsa-topped tortilla to four plates and GARNISH with red onion and cilantro. SERVE immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!