Eggs Florentine Eggs Benedict
This version of "Eggs Benedict" the eggs are separated and there are lots of versions based on history, taste and style. In our recipe, we favor the version we got at Sam's Anchor Cafe in Tiberon, Steve, the owner told me how they do it. so well. The secret is paper-thin slices of good quality ham. They serve it with homestyle potatoes and a slice of an orange.
- 8 piece paper-thin sliced ham large slices
- 2 English muffins halved
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter divided
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 10 oz spinach uncooked
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- 4 large eggs
- 4 large egg yolks
- 1 ½ tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ cup unsalted butter 1 stick, melted
- 1 tablespoon fresh chives chopped, for serving
- Preheat the broiler.
- Broil for 2 minutes, until the English muffins are toasted and the ham starts to crisp.
- Remove the English muffins and ham from the oven. Slice the ham lengthwise, into ⅛-inch (3 mm) wide strips.
- Cover a small bowl, about 3 inches (7-cm) in diameter, with plastic wrap. Place a ham strip across the middle (the edge of the strip should come slightly over the lip of the bowl). Continue placing ham strips across the bowl, overlapping them in a spiral pattern. Repeat with three more small bowls and the remaining ham strips.
- In a large pan over medium-high heat, melt 2 tablespoons of butter. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute, until the garlic starts to brown. Add the spinach and stir until wilted to half its original volume, 3-4 minutes. Add the salt and pepper and stir for another minute. Remove from heat.
- Fill a deep pan with enough water to cover 4 small, heat-safe bowls. Bring the water to a boil over high heat and use a pair of tongs to place the bowls in the water. Carefully drop an egg into each bowl. Cook for 2-3 minutes, or until the yolks are cooked to your desired firmness. Using tongs, remove the bowls from the water and drain.
- Place a poached egg inside each small bowl with the spiralized ham slices and top with spinach. Fold the ham slices over the spinach and place a buttered English muffin half on top. Place a plate over the bowl and invert. Remove the bowl and plastic wrap.
- Serve with hollandaise sauce and chives.
For a low carb, Keto variation use sourdough bread
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!