Butternut Squash Shepherd’s Pie
Mashed butternut squash and potato topping on a savory base of ground bison and vegetables make the ideal meal for a cold day.
Mashed Butternut Squash and Potato Topping:
- 2 lbs butternut squash cut up and seeded (skin is ok if washed)
- ½ Tbs olive oil
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ tsp ground black pepper
- ½ tsp dried thyme
- 1 lbs gold potatoes sliced or cut up
- 1/4 cup coconut cream
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
Meat filling ingredients:
- 2 tsp olive oil
- 2 cups Birds Eye C&W Ultimate Petite Mixed Vegetables or frozen peas and carrots
- 1 cup onion finely diced
- 5 cloves garlic minced
- 2 lb ground bison or 1 lb each turkey, beef
- ¾ tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- 1 Tbs coconut flour for thickening
- 4 Tbs tomato paste
- 1 Tbs apple cider vinegar
- 1 ½ cups better than bouillion Roast Beef flavor
- 2 ribs celery finely diced
- 2 Tbs Coconut Aminos
Making the mashed butternut squash topping:
- Preheat your oven to 400 degrees.
- Boil water in a large pot. Put the squash and potatoes inside and cook until you can easily stab the potatoes with a knife, 20-25 minutes. Strain, and put into a large bowl and mash with a potato masher. Reserve 1 1/2 cups of the strained liquid for your meat gravy. Add ¼ cup coconut cream, 1 tsp garlic powder, ½ tsp onion powder, ½ tsp salt, ¼ tsp ground black pepper, and mash. Set aside.
At the same time make the Shepherd's pie meat filling:
- In a large skillet over medium heat, cook the bison (or ground meat), breaking it up with a wooden spoon, until browned, 7 to 10 minutes. Drain off any excess fat or remove with a spoon.
- Using the reserved hot water from the squash/potato add the bouillion, tomato paste, apple cider vinegar, Coconut Aminos, and coconut flour in a bowl to make about 1 1/2 to 2 cups of gravy. Mix until smooth and the tomato paste is dissolved completely.
- Add the gravy to the meat and simmer for 5-7 minutes or until some of the liquid is reduced.
- Pour the shepherd's pie filling into a large pan, 9 in x 13 in. Top the meat with frozen vegetables evenly on top of the meat. Then top with the mashed butternut squash topping, using a spatula to evenly spread it out.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
This recipe has lots of vitamins. It also works with different kinds of squash, sweet potatoes or yams as well.
Calories: 449kcalCarbohydrates: 36gProtein: 27gFat: 23gSaturated Fat: 11gCholesterol: 79mgSodium: 775mgPotassium: 1319mgFiber: 7gSugar: 5gVitamin A: 14487IUVitamin C: 44mgCalcium: 98mgIron: 5mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!