Spinach Gomae - Japanese Spinach Salad
Goma-ae, sometimes also spelled Gomaae or Gomae is a Japanese side dish. It is made with vegetables and sesame dressing. One of the most common versions, often found at Japanese restaurants in the West, is served in the form of a spinach salad, mixed with sesame sake sauce or miso paste and topped with sesame.
- 10 cups organic spinach or baby spinach
- ½ tbsp shoyu soy sauce
- Blanch the spinach in boiling water 30-45 secs for mature spinach and 15-30 secs for baby spinach
- Strain and squeeze excess water out of spinach
- Add ½ tbsp of soy sauce and squeeze that out as well
- Cut the spinach to size
- Toast the sesame seeds in a pan
- Grind the seeds using a mortar and pestle or processor
- Prep the sauce – add all ingredients in a bowl, mix,
- Mix into the spinach, and then enjoy.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!