Grilled Artichokes with Garlic Butter
Raise your hand if you're intimidated by this spiny, curious vegetable. You obviously haven't grilled them yet! Follow along as Chef Jason shows you his technique for preparing and grilling them with ease. The result? Smoky, tender artichokes cooked to perfection in garlic-herb butter.
- 2 jumbo artichokes
- 6 garlic cloves finely chopped
- ½ cup 1 stick butter
- 1 pinch salt
- 1 pinch pepper
- 1 pinch Italian seasoning
- 1 lemon
PREPARE THE ARTICHOKES:
- Using your scissors, carefully cut the pointy tip off each leaf. (TIP: Watch the video for this technique.)
- Place the artichoke on a cutting board and cut the very top of it off.
- Then cut off the stem.
- While holding the artichoke, carefully cut the artichoke in half lengthwise.
- Remove the choke (fuzzy stuff in the center) using the tip of your knife.
- Carefully remove the purple inner leaves with your fingers and discard them.
- Be sure to remove any lingering little fuzzy hairs. (Use your knife to remove these.)
- Repeat the process with the remaining artichoke halves.
CLEAN THE ARTICHOKES:
- Rinse the artichoke halves under cool water, making sure to get in and all around the leaves.
- Turn over and drain out the water.
- Set the halves aside.
MAKE GARLIC BUTTER:
- Peel and finely chop the garlic and place in the measuring cup.
- Cut the butter into chunks and add to the measuring cup.
- Microwave the mixture for about 1 minute, or until melted.
- Stir with a fork to combine.
ASSEMBLE THE ARTICHOKE FOIL PACKETS:
- Place each artichoke half on the center of a piece of foil.
- Drizzle about 1/4 of the garlic butter in the center and over the leaves of the artichoke half.
- Season with salt, pepper, and Italian seasoning to taste.
- Wrap the foil around the artichoke. (TIP: Watch the video for this technique.)
- Repeat the process with the remaining halves.
GRILL THE 'CHOKES:
SERVE & ENJOY:
- Squeeze a bit of fresh lemon juice over each artichoke half.
- Enjoy as an appetizer or alongside your favorite main dish!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!