Fried Chicken Paprika
There are a lot of “Best fried chicken recipes” out there, many try to imitate the famous KFC secret recipe, in fact you can see my version here. Now this is not a KFC copycat recipe. But read on… So why try and make something yourself when you can simply buy it? The reason is to make it better! Let’s face it, as good as KFC might be, it’s convenience food. You don’t really know what type of chickens they are, nor where they come from. What quality of oil is being used, and how fresh the herbs and spices are. By making fried chicken yourself, you can look for a healthier frying oil. Maybe even some fresh pastured organic chicken, that is if your budget allows it. What about some spices that have been freshly ground? You simply can’t beat that sort of taste and freshness. The taste of homemade fried chicken. The good news is that it’s quite simple to make, despite simplicity and ingredients. I’ll be bold enough to claim that this is the best recipe you will ever find. I know, I know that’s a big claim, but don’t just take my word for it, hop onto to my YouTube video and read the comments. With many millions of views and positive comments, it must mean something. Maybe it’s the the smokiness of the paprika, the popcorn like crunchy coating, or the juicy chicken meat that’s been brined in buttermilk. Whatever the reason, you will be amazed at the outcome. Best thing you don’t need a KFC deep frying pressure cooker, simply use a standard deep fryer or any pot deep enough. Try and use one with a heavy bottom and never overfill it as oil can easily catch fire. I have made this recipe using boneless and skinless chicken thighs. Chicken thighs do have more flavour and retain their juiciness even in high heat. You can however make it with chicken breast too. They will be a little dryer, so best to keep the skin on. Serve it with a crisp well-seasoned salad, maybe a few fries on the side. You can also use this recipe for an awesome chicken burger. Either way, make it quick before this becomes the next secret fried chicken recipe and becomes locked in a vault!
- Vegetable oil for frying
- 4 chicken thighs or chicken breasts - No bones
- 1 tsp coriander seed powder
- 1 ½ tbs smoked paprika
- ½ tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp onion powder
- ½ tsp Garlic salt
- ½ tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 bay leaves
- ½ tsp brown sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup all purpose flour plain
- ¾ cup cornflour corn starch
- Flatten your chicken by placing in between cling film and lightly pound using a meat mallet or underside of a saucepan until an even size.
- On your chicken pieces, sprinkle approx 2 teaspoons of the spice mix and coat each side evenly. Keep the rest of the spice mix for later.
- In a marinating container or mixing bowl, add the butter milk, 2 whole eggs, one tsp of salt and 2 crushed bay leaves (note if crushing for more flavour strain mixture or don’t crush), mix well. Add the spice coated chicken to the butter milk, cover, refrigerate and marinate overnight or a minimum of 2 hours.
- The following day or 2 hours later, remove the chicken from the fridge. Heat up your deep frying oil to a temperature of 340°F – 170°C
- While the oil is heating, add your leftover spice mix to a mixing bowl along with the all purpose flour, cornflour (cornstarch) and baking powder. Mix well. Remove the chicken pieces from the butter milk and place in spicy flour coating one at a time. Repeat process until each piece has been coated in flour mix.
- Place the chicken in the hot oil 2 or 3 pieces at a time until golden brown. Remove and place over a wire rack for the fat to drip. Serve immediately.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!