The recipe can be done in a pressure cooker for 35 minutes with natural release (like the instapot), done in a dutch oven (in the oven or stovetop) or in a slow cooker. We like to make patches of this and it freezes well if you use a vacuum sealer the the foodsaver.
- 1 ½ Pounds chuck beef cut into 2 inch cubes
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1 Teaspoon Pepper
- 1 Teaspoon prime rib seasoning Italian Seasoning or Mixture of Oregano and Thyme
- 2 Tablespoons Worcestershire Sauce
- 3 Cloves Garlic smashed
- 1 Large Onion Chopped
- 1 lb of carrots or baby carrots cut into equal-weight pieces
- 1 Pound Red Potatoes Cubed
- 2 ½ Cups Beef Broth or better than bouilon
- 5 oz of tomato paste
- 1 lb medium sized fresh tomatoes quartered
- 2 Tablespoons Cornstarch mixed with cold water
- 1/2 container of fresh sliced white mushrooms
- 1/2 lb of frozen peas
- 1 bunch of chopped parsley for garnish
- Cook the meat until Browned on all sides.
- Add the beef broth and use a spoon to scrape the brown bits from the bottom.
- If using a pressure cooker cook on high pressure for 35 minutes, then allow the pressure to release naturally for 10 minutes before doing a quick release.
- If using a dutch oven, bring to a boil, stir and simmer for an hour.
- If using a slow cooker, cook on high for 4 hours.
- Mix together the cornstarch and cold water in a small bowl and stir into the stew if needed to thicken it.
- Add mushrooms and cook for 10 minutes until sauce thickens and mushrooms are cooked.
- Add frozen peas and stir. Leave to rest for 10 minutes.
- Add parsley to garnish.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!