Fried chicken in a rich spice-infused sauce with tomato and dried apricots. Serve over couscous for an authentic eating experience.
- 6 chicken thighs with skin and bone-in pat dry
- 1/4 cup Oil for frying
Dry spice rub, ( Ras el hanout ) mix together :
Extra spices for the gravy :
- 2 cups crushed tomatoes or tomato juice or sauce
- 2 big red onions sliced
- 2 large cloves garlic chopped
- 8 dried apricots blanched and bloomed in boiling water (or apricot preserves)
- Italian parsley or cilantro for garnishing optional
- Coat the chicken thighs with the dry spice rub.
- Leave in the fridge overnight to marinate.
- Before cooking, take the chicken out of the fridge to come to room temperature.
- Heat oil in pan and shallow fry the chicken until golden brown (need not be cooked through as we will be simmering it in sauce).
- Remove fried chicken and set aside.
- In the same oil, fry the sliced onions.
- When onions are browned at the edges, add chopped garlic.
- When onions are wilted and browned, add the crushed tomatoes and bring to a boil.
- Return the fried chicken to the pan (including pan juices), add apricots and simmer on low heat for about 30 minutes until chicken is tender and the gravy is thick.
- Adjust for seasoning and serve over couscous or rice.
- Garnish with chopped Italian parsley or cilantro
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!