Greek Spanakopita Triangles
There is something to be said for combining Spinach with feta and ricotta cheese. The sensation that it creates is amazing. The Greek do know how to eat! The creaminess of ricotta and the saltiness of feta combine with earthy spinach to create a wholesome taste. Spanakopita is a Greek savory pastry belonging to the Burek family
- 3 bunches About 3 bunches of fresh spinach (about 2 lbs I think)
- 1 yellow onion chopped finely
- 6-8 spring onions chopped, scallions
- 5 oz feta cheese crumbled, 150g
- 3 oz ricotta cheese 90g
- 1/3 cup freshly grated vegetarian parmesan 35g or 1-1/4 oz
- 1 tbsp fresh dill chopped
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- 1/2 cup fresh parsley chopped (cilantro works well too)
- 12 sheets of filo pastry thawed (Make your own from here)
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter melted + some olive oil (or more if required)
- 1Trim the stems of spinach and clean them well in cold water. I find that filling the kitchen sink with lots of water and then submerging and rinsing the spinach works well in cleaning out the mud and debris. Drain. Roughly chop and them place it in a steamer.
- Steam for 5-8 minutes or until the leaves are wilted.
- Drain. Squeeze out the excess water from the spinach. This step is extremely important to avoid a soggy filling. set aside.
- Add the spring onions and cook for another 2-3 minutes.
- Remove from heat and then add the spinach, herbs, cheeses and nutmeg. Season with salt and pepper if required. You can taste it to see if it does not have enough salt from the feta cheese.
- Cut into equal thirds lengthwise.
- Spoon a little filling on an angle at the end of the each strip. You don't want to be overzealous here with the portion since it will slip out later.
- Fold the pastry over to enclose the filling to form a triangle
- Now take it upwards to form another triangle
- Repeat this process until you reach the end.
- You will have a small strip at the end which you can grease with little butter mixture and stick to the pastry.
- Brush the top lightly with butter mixture.
- Grease two baking sheets.Bake the triangles for 20-25 minutes or until the pastry is golden brown. Don't count on leftovers! I assure you, you would be hard pressed to have any left!
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!