EASY PEAR TART WITH PUFF PASTRY
Easy pear tart with puff pastry is one of my favorite tart recipes. It’s perfect for Thanksgiving because it comes together in less than an hour and requires no fancy kitchen gadgetry! This is a simple, rustic pear tart that is made so much easier with the help of some store-bought puff pastry, no homemade pie dough needed!
FOR PEAR TART
- 1 round store-bought puff pastry sheet
- 1/2 cup 120 ml unsweetened apple sauce
- ¼ tsp 1.25ml cinnamon
- 4 medium firm ripe pears
- 1 tbsp 15 ml sugar
- 2 tbsp 30 ml apple jelly, heated in microwave to become liquefied (:30)
- 1 egg
- Finishing sugar for garnish
FOR WHIPPED CREAM:
- 2 cups 480 ml heavy cream or heavy whipping cream
- 2 tbsp 30 ml powdered sugar
- 1 tsp 5 ml vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 400F (200C).
- Score around the perimeter of the plate to create at least a 1-2” “crust”. Mix the apple sauce and cinnamon. Spoon this mixture across the center circle creating a base for your tart. Do not go into the crust area.
- Put the hip cut pears flat side down and slice very thin, 1/8” thick slices. Keep the sliced order and arrange the pear slices exactly as they are creating an escargot pattern around the tart.
- The reserve the smaller pear cuts to create a splayed pear fan for the center. Do this by slicing the pear ¼” from the top of the pear, leaving the top intact so that you can create a fan-side cut. Place that in the center and fill in your overall design with any other of the pear slices.
- Sprinkle the sugar atop all the pear. Then beat 1 egg well in a small bowl and with a pastry brush only the crust very lightly with the egg wash, being careful not to get the egg in to the score cut or your pastry won’t puff up.
- Bake for 30-35 mins until pastry are golden brown and puffed up.
- Allow to cool slightly, and then brush the pears with the apple jelly for a nice shiny finish.
- For whipped cream combine all ingredients in a bowl and whisk vigorously for 10-15 mins with a wire whisk until soft peaks form, or whip with an electric mixer.
- Transfer paper and tart in one motion to a round cutting board/cheese board.
- Slice into wedges and serve with homemade whipped cream. Enjoy!
If you pastry gets to warm while arranging the pears pop it in the fridge , tray and all, for 30 mins or the freezer for 15 mins. That way when it hits the hot oven it will puff up properly. You can use apples instead
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!