V8 Tomato Basil Bread
This is delicious bread. You can toast it for breakfast, make grilled cheese sandwiches or even shape slices into hors d'oeuvres, top with a little sauce and toast under the broiler. This is one of my favorite bread recipes!
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 5 tablespoons sugar
- 1.5 tablespoons active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil double for fresh
- to 1/2 cup of warm (115 degrees water sprinkle with yeast then the sugar. Let stand for 5 minutes until it bubbles. Add to the flour mixture beat until smooth. Stir in enough remaining flour to form a soft dough. You can also use a stand mixer to do this for 3-4 minutes. Cover and let rest for 15 minutes.
- Turn onto a floured surface; knead until smooth and elastic, about 6-8 minutes. (You can use your stand mixer to do this for 3-4 minutes) Place in a greased bowl, turning once to grease top. Cover and let rise in a warm place until doubled, about 45 minutes.
- Punch dough down. Turn onto a lightly floured surface; divide in half. Shape into two loaves. Place in two greased 8x4-in. loaf pans. Cover and let rise until doubled, about 30 minutes. To make it more like Panera's bread shape both loaves and join together to form one large loaf and sprinkle with powdered sugar as you go.
- Bake at 400° for 35-40 minutes reducing the temperature to 350 after 10 minutes and bake until lightly browned. Remove from pans to cool on wire racks.
Serving: 1sliceCalories: 105kcalCarbohydrates: 21gProtein: 3gFat: 1gSaturated Fat: 1gSodium: 115mgPotassium: 84mgFiber: 1gSugar: 2gVitamin A: 81IUVitamin C: 2mgCalcium: 7mgIron: 1mg
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!