Slow Cooker Vegan Red Beans and Rice
- 2 15 oz can red beans drained and rinsed
- 1 cup finely chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green pepper
- 1 cup chopped celery
- 2 tsp. dried thyme
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 2.3 cups vegetable broth
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 teaspoon smoked paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 cup rice
- Place the red beans, onion, green pepper, celery, thyme, garlic, vegetable broth, bay leaf, smoked paprika and cayenne pepper in a slow cooker and cook on low for 4-5 hours.
- Stir in the rice, pinch of salt and pepper, and increase heat to high and cook for 1-2 hours depending on the rice you use (see notes) .
Depending on the type of rice you use, it should cook in 1-2 hours on high. I used a sprouted blonde rice and it cooked in 40 minutes. Brown rice should take roughly 2 hours. If you decide that you don't want to add the rice into the slow cooker, reduce the liquid to 1 cup and cook rice on it's own.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!