Paupiettes of Lemon Sole with a Crab Meat Stuffing
This paupiette is a piece of Sole, rolled with a stuffing of crab meat. It is often featured in recipes from Normandy. It is often fried or braised, or baked in wine or stock. They are very popular in France, being sold ready-prepared in supermarkets and butchers.
- 4 Fillets of Lemon Sole
- 200 g Crab Meat
- 20 g Red Pepper finely diced
- 20 g Green Pepper finely diced
- 100 g Spinach
- 1 Shallot finely diced
- 250 ml Cream
- 1 Tsp Smoked Paprika
- 250 ml Fish Stock
- 2 Dessert Spn Mayonnaise
- 1 Tsp Tomato Purée
- Squeeze of Lemon Juice
- Place crab meat in a bowl and check for fine pieces of shell. Remove if any.
- Add mayonnaise, peppers and lemon juice to the crab meat and bind together.
- Place the fillets of sole flesh side down on a board and place a spoonful of crab mixture (approx. ¼ of the mixture) at the narrow end of the fillet. Roll the fillet around the stuffing from this end to form a paupiette.
- Once rolled place on its side in an oven proof dish and repeat this for each fillet of fish.
- Pour the fish stock over the fish and season with pepper and a squeeze of lemon juice.
- Cover with parchment and cooking foil and place in a pre-heated oven at 180C for 15 – 20 minutes. The fish will be firm to touch when cooked.
- To make the sauce, sweat the shallot for a few minutes on a hot pan with a drop of oil. Add the cream, tomato and smoked paprika. Stir well and bring to the boil, turn down heat and leave to simmer.
- Just before you remove the fish from the oven, wilt the spinach on a hot pan with a little butter. (Be careful as this will wilt very quickly)
- Place the Spinach in the centre of the plate, top with two paupiettes of lemon sole and spoon over the sauce. Garnish with some lemon and fresh herbs such as dill or parsley.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!