Curried Red Lentil & Apple Soup
A lovely curried lentil soup with a hint of sweet/tart apple and just a bit of heat, enough to make it lightly tingle on your tongue. The texture of the soup is soft, smooth and delicate.
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 onion peeled & chopped (1 heaping cup)
- 6 cloves garlic peeled & chopped
- 2 apples peeled, cored & chopped (about 2 cups)
- 2 carrots peeled & chopped (about 2/3 cup)
- 1 small hot pepper seeded & chopped
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 3 teaspoons curry powder
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 1/2 cup dried red lentils
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1 cup apple wine or other white wine
- 1 6 oz Tomato peeled, cored, and chopped
- 1 can light coconut milk
- Salt to taste
- 1 Bunch Cilantro for garnish
- Add the lentils, broth, apple wine, and tomato and stir it all up. Bring the soup to a boil, then reduce heat to a simmer and cook uncovered for about 20 – 30 minutes or until the lentils are nice and soft.
- At this point, I blended it up with the coconut milk. If you have an immersion blender, that’s really the best way if you want your soup smooth and creamy. If you prefer it a little lumpy, don’t bother blending. Stir in a little water or broth if the soup is too thick. Add a bit of salt if you think it needs it.
- Serve with cilantro leaves for garnish.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!