Chili Relleno Casserole
- 4 eggs
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons all purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3 7- ounce cans whole green chilies split open
- 4 cups shredded cheddar about 1 pound or less
- 4 cups shredded Monterey Jack about 1 pound or less
- Lightly grease 9x13-inch glass baking dish. Beat first 5 ingredients in medium bowl to blend. Arrange chilies from 1 can in prepared dish, covering bottom completely. Sprinkle with 1/3 of each cheese. Repeat layering twice. Pour egg mixture over cheese. Let stand 30 minutes. (Can be prepared 1 day ahead. Cover and refrigerate.)
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Bake until casserole is slightly puffed in center and golden brown on edges, about 45 minutes. Cool 20 minutes and serve.
Recipe says 8 servings, but we got 12 out of each 9” x 13” pan. Also we used a lot less cheese than the recipe calls for.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!