Beer Battered Fish Chips and Mushy Peas
Beer Battered Fish and Chips with Mushy Peas is a favorite pub meal. Add homemade tartar sauce, and you have a true winner! Traditionally, either cod or haddock is the fish of choice. However, any large flaked white fish will work.
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 teaspoons butter
- 1 tablespoon shallots minced
- 1 tablespoon garlic minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon fresh julienned mint leaves
Beer Battered Fish:
- 1 cup 8 ounces ale type beer
- 1 cup 5 ounces double zero or all purpose flour divided
- 1 teaspoon salt
- pepper to taste
- paprika to taste
- 1-1/2 pounds large evenly cut pieces of rock cod
- Peanut oil or other high temperature vegetable oil
- Frozen French fries cooked according to package directions
- 1 lemon fresh sliced
- 1 parsley chopped
- 1 tartar sauce
- Place peas and lightly greased saucepan. Bring to a boil. Turn off heat, add salt, minced shallot garlic and then some butter. Let peas simmer then slightly mash with a masher. Add more butter as desired and top with mint leaves.
- Whisk together 3/4 cup of flour, salt, egg and beer. Let sit for three hours. or over night
Beer Battered Fish
- Heat several inches of peanut oil to 300° F in a Dutch oven set over medium high heat. Season fish with salt. Pat fish fillets dry with paper towels. Coat in remaining 1/4 cup of flour seasoned with salt pepper and paprika; dip in beer batter, letting excess batter drip off. Fry for 7 to 8 minutes in hot oil until golden brown. Drain on wire rack set over baking sheet. Repeat with remaining fish.
- Cook frozen French fries according to package directions.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!