Sugar Free or Not Tres Leches Cake
Tres Leches is a popular authentic Mexican cake. Tres Leches Cake has a soft and ultra-moist crumb. It is soaked with a 3 milk mixture and topped with a lightly whipped cream.. The syrup is made of – you guessed it – tres leches (which means three kinds of milk). You poke holes into the cake before pouring over the syrup so every bite is decadently moist. The cake can be made with or without sugar and tastes nearly the same either way.
- 12 oz evaporated milk
- 9 oz Newa Nutrition sugar free Condensed milk or sweetened condensed milk
- 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp Swerve granulated sugar or cane sugar
- 1 cup berries to garnish optional
- Preheat the oven to 350 °F and butter a 9x13 casserole dish. Set up three mixing bowls.
- In a large bowl, sift together 1 cup flour, 1 1/2 tsp baking powder, and 1/4 salt. Separate egg whites and yolks into the other two bowls.
- Beat egg whites on high speed until soft peaks form (1 minute). With the mixer on, pour in remaining 1/4 cup sugar and beat on high speed until egg whites are stiff but not dry (1 minute)
- Pour egg yolk mixture over the flour mixture and combine gently with a spatula.
For the 3-Milk Syrup:
- In a large measuring cup (or a bowl with a pouring lip), combine 1/3 cup heavy whipping cream, 12 oz evaporated milk and 9 oz condensed milk. When the cake is cool, pierce the surface all over with a fork. Slowly drizzle the milk mixture over the cake.
To Make the Whipped Cream Frosting:
- Pour 2 cups cold heavy whipping cream and 2 Tbsp sugar into a large chilled mixing bowl and beat on high speed 1 1/2 to 2 minutes or until thick, whipped and spreadable. Spread over the cake with a spatula then decorate with berries if desired.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!