Steakhouse Creamed Spinach
Creamy, rich Steakhouse Creamed Spinach that takes just a few minutes and is the perfect side for a holiday roast or prime rib.
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 medium yellow onion minced
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 4 teaspoons Kosher salt divided
- 1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly grated nutmeg
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 1/2 cups half-and-half
- 2 1/4 pounds fresh leaf spinach or one pound frozen
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 4 ounces cream cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil with two teaspoons of salt.
- Add the spinach and cook just until wilted, about 1 minute.
- Drain the spinach in a strainer or colander.
- Rinse with cold water until cool and squeeze the water out of each fistful of spinach.
- Chop the spinach bundles into a 3/4 inch width.
- In a large skillet melt the butter with the garlic and onions.
- Cook on medium-low for 8-10 minutes or until the onions are translucent.
- Add in the remaining kosher salt, black pepper, and nutmeg.
- Add in the flour and mix with a wooden spoon over low and cook for 2-3 minutes until the aroma is a bit nutty.
- Add the half and half and cook until boiling.
- Add in the mozzarella cheese and cream cheese
- Cook for 6-8 minutes or until the mixture has thickened.
- Add in the spinach and the Parmesan cheese and stir to combine.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!