Smoked Fish Tostadas
We love smoked fish and in this recipe its not an exception. We buy our smoked fish, whether its Salmon or Moon-Fish (warm blooded fish) from our favorite place in Morro Bay California, Giovanni's Fish Market. We usually make our tostadas by coating tortillas with olive oil and then roasting them in the oven with Monterey Jack Cheese and Black Beans. In this recipe, its a little more fun and its easily scaled up for more servings. This one is perfect for brunch or as a light lunch. They’re packed full of flavor and I serve them on top of a Mexican salad with a delicious jalapeño coriander dressing.
Chili Lime Mayo:
- 1 corn cob or 1/2 cup frozen corn
- 1/2 cup Black beans, canned drained and rinsed
- ½ cup red cabbage finely shredded
- ½ cup savoy cabbage finely shredded
- 1 carrot grated
- ½ bunch coriander leaves
Jalapeño Coriander Dressing:
- ½ cup extra virgin olive oil
- ¼ cup lime juice from about 4 limes
- ½ cup firmly packed coriander mostly leaves
- 1 small jalapeño seeds and ribs removed, and roughly chopped
- 1 tbsp tahini
- 1 tbsp honey or maple syrup
- 1 tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 clove garlic roughly chopped
- ¼ tsp fine sea salt
- pinch of red pepper flakes Optional
- For the Mexican salad. Blend all of the jalapeño coriander dressing ingredients, except the red pepper flakes. Blend until smooth. Add red pepper flakes and blend for a few seconds. Combine dressing with all the salad ingredients.
- For the tostada shells. Use a cookie cutter to make them a bit smaller. Pour oil until it comes up about 3 cm into a saucepan and heat until it reaches 367F. You can check the oil is hot enough by breaking off a tiny piece of one of the tortillas and putting it in the pan — if it begins to bubble up, then the oil is ready for frying. Add the tortillas and cook, turning once for 1 to 1 1/2 minutes on each side, until they’re golden and crisp. Drain on some paper towel. Alternately, you can coat the tortillas with oil and toast them in a convection oven.
- Fried method, add cheese after frying along with some black beans.
- Oven method, add some cheese after toasted a little and top with black beans.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!