Smashed Brussels Sprouts
In order to smash the Brussels sprouts, you need to boil them first. (Just like smashed potatoes!) Make sure to pat them really dry, even after you smashed them, so that they crisp up in the oven. And never skimp on the cheese.
- 2 lb. Brussels sprouts
- 2 tbsp. extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 tsp. freshly chopped thyme
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 c. shredded mozzarella
- 1/4 c. freshly grated Parmesan
- Freshly chopped parsley for garnish
- Blanch Brussels sprouts: Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add Brussels sprouts and cook until bright green and very tender, 8 to 10 minutes. Add Brussels sprouts to ice bath to cool then drain.
- On a large baking sheet, toss blanched Brussels sprouts with oil, garlic, and thyme. Using the end of a small glass or mason jar, press down on Brussels sprouts to smash them into a flat patty. Season each smashed Brussels sprout with salt and pepper, then sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan on top.
- Bake until bottoms of sprouts are crispy and cheese is melty and golden, 20 to 25 minutes.
- Garnish with parsley and serve warm.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!