Pico de Gallo
In Mexican cuisine, pico de gallo, also called salsa fresca or salsa cruda, is made from chopped tomato, onion, cilantro, fresh serranos, salt, and lime juice.
- 3 yellow or red onions
- 12 Roma Tomatoes slightly under ripe is fine
- 2 cups fresh cilantro leaves
- 2 serrano chile peppers
- 1 lime
- salt to taste
- Dice up equal quantities of onion and tomato. Roughly chop the cilantro.
- Now, slice 1 or 2 jalapenos in half. With a spoon, scrape out the seeds. (If you like things spicy, leave in some of the white membranes.) Dice the jalapenos very finely; you want a hint of heat and jalapeno flavor, but you don't want to cause any fires. Now dump the four ingredients into a bowl.
- Slice the lime in half and squeeze the juice from half a lime the bowl. Sprinkle with salt, and stir together until combined. Be sure to taste the pico de gallo and adjust the seasonings, adding salt or more diced jalapeno if needed.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!