Lentil and Bratwurst Stew
This hearty lentil soup is made with Bratwurst or smoked sausage, vegetables, tomatoes and lentils, all simmered in an herb broth. An easy one pot dinner option that the whole family will love
- 3 fresh bratwurst links
- 2 cups water
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion diced
- 3 cloves garlic chopped
- 1 large leek cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise into 1/2-inch pieces (3 cups)
- 1 medium stalk celery sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 medium carrot sliced (1/2 cup)
- 1 cup dried green, brown and red lentils rinsed
- 1 large white potato, cut up into 1 inch cubes optional
- 1 cup shredded white cabbage
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups Unsalted Chicken Broth
- 1 can 14.5 oz diced tomatoes, undrained
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach leaves
- Fry onion and garlic until translucent. Add oil as needed to the same pan you cooked the bratwurst in.
- Into same saucepan, pour in 2 cups water. Stir in all remaining ingredients except bratwurst and spinach. Heat to boiling. Reduce heat; cover and simmer 1 hour 15 minutes to 1 hour 30 minutes or until lentils are tender.
- Cut bratwurst into 1/2-inch slices; stir into stew. Cook about 3 minutes or until bratwurst is hot. Stir in spinach. Cook uncovered 1 to 2 minutes longer or just until spinach is wilted.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!