"This is a tasty dense falafel that contains no eggs. Serve on pitas with tzatziki or tahini sauce with lettuce and tomato."
- 1 can garbanzo beans rinsed and drained, 19 ounce
- 1 small onion finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1 1/2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground turmeric
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 cup fine dry bread crumbs
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cracked black peppercorns
- 1 quart vegetable oil for frying
- Mash the garbanzo beans in a large bowl. Stir in the onion, garlic, cilantro, parsley, cumin, turmeric, baking powder, bread crumbs, salt and pepper. Do not be afraid to use your hands. Shape the mixture into 1 1/2 inch balls; you should get 18 to 24. If the mixture does not hold together, add a little water.Heat the oil in a deep fryer to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Carefully drop the balls into the hot oil, and fry until brown. If you do not have a deep fryer, heat the oil in a heavy deep skillet over medium-high heat. You may need to adjust the heat slightly after the first couple of falafels, and be sure to turn frequently so they brown evenly.
We have determined the nutritional value of oil for frying based on a retention value of 10% after cooking. The exact amount will vary depending on cooking time and temperature, ingredient density, and the specific type of oil used.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!