Instapot / Pressure Cooker Flan
This Mexican Flan can be tricky to make in a conventional oven, but the InstaPot cooks it perfectly—and fast. Flan Napolitano contains a bit of cream cheese for extra smoothness and richness, and it makes its own sauce as it sits in the refrigerator. I like flan on a platter, surrounded by fresh berries.
- 1/2 cup sugar
- 1 stick Cinamon broken up
- 5 large eggs
- 12 ounces condensed milk 1 can
- 14 ounces sweetened condensed milk 1 can
- 1/4 cup cream cheese optional
- 3 tsp vanilla extract
- fresh berries for serving optional
- Add the sugar a little at a time to a small saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook the sugar, stirring occasionally with a silicone spatula once it begins to melt, until dark golden brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Very carefully pour the caramel into the prepared pan and, using heat-resistant mitts, swirl the pan to evenly coat the bottom.
- Secure the lid and set the Pressure Release to Sealing. Press "Porridge" (High Pressure) Cook, then set the cooking time for 20 minutes if not already there.
- When the cooking program is complete, press Cancel. Perform a quick pressure release after 10 minutes by moving the Pressure Release to vent. Open the pot and, wearing heat-resistant mitts, grab the handles of the rack and lift it out of the pot. Carefully remove the foil from the pan; the center of the flan will still be a little jiggly. To test it simply stick a thin knife or toothpick into it. If it comes out clean it's done.s
- Wait for the flan to cool a bit, then place in the refrigerator for at least 3 hours.
- Place a plate over the top of the uncovered pan and invert and tap on the pan's bottom to release the pan. Top with fresh berries or serve as is.
There are other options for making this in ramekins, empty cans in the oven, stovetop, or microwave. The times vary but its anywhere from 70-90 minutes. Want a Sugar-Free, Low Carb, Keto version. Check out https://fridaysnacks.info/index.php/keto-low-carb-mexican-flan/
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!