One of the easiest things to make and often overlooked when having steaks, chops, fish, or vegetables. Create these easy flavor bombs ahead, freeze, and use as needed. Stored in an air-tight bag, you’ll have go-to, fabulous flavor at your fingertips. Stores for months in the freezer and one week in the fridge.
For all recipes start with this:
ORANGE HONEY COMPOUND BUTTER
CHIVE COMPOUND BUTTER
- 1 package fresh chives minced about 3 tablespoons
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground black pepper
GARLIC HERB COMPOUND BUTTER
LEMON PROVENÇALE COMPOUND BUTTER
CHIPOTLE LIME COMPOUND BUTTER
CREOLE COMPOUND BUTTER
- 1/2 tablespoon sweet paprika
- ½ teaspoon dried thyme
- ½ teaspoon dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon granulated garlic
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
TOMATO BASIL COMPOUND BUTTER
BASIL / PESTO COMPOUND BUTTER
- 3 tablespoons good quality Pesto or big Bunch of fresh Basil
- 1/2 teaspoon Kosher Salt only for fresh Basil version
TOOLS FOR CRAFTING THE PERFECT COMPOUND BUTTER
- THE TECHNIQUE
- All compound butters begin with softened, room temperature butter.
- If using fresh herbs, wash and thoroughly dry them before chopping. We like to use a salad spinner to remove moisture from herbs. Then we pat dry with a paper towel before chopping.
- Prepare the ingredients. Butter needs to be softened to room temperature.
- Pulse the food processor until combined. Or, in a medium bowl, add room temperature butter, mix thoroughly with the back of a spoon until well combined.
- Spoon the butter mixture onto the center of a sheet of wax paper, parchment paper or plastic wrap.
- Using a spatula or spoon, drop the butter onto wax paper. Shape into a rough rectangular size, similar in size to a stick of butter.
- Roll the bottom half of the wax paper over the butter. Roll tightly into a log shape. Twist the ends of the wax paper. Place in the refrigerator for 2 hours to chill.
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!