Cazuela Mexicano - Picadillo and Cornbread Casserole
Mexican Cornbread casserole has been one of my favorite weeknight meals to make. I love how simple this casserole is to put together. You can be flexible in this recipe—you could use any sausage instead of the hamburger meat in here. If you have a few extra leftover vegetables in the refrigerator, You can be flexible in this recipe—you could use any sausage instead of the hamburger meat in here. If you have a few extra leftover vegetables in the refrigerator, frozen peas, and carrots are just as tasty in here is the corn.
- Chili powder
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- 1/2 cup cornmeal box of cornmeal muffins works too
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1 Tablespoon baking powder
- Scant 1/4 cup sugar
- Scant 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1 diced jalapeno no seeds
- 1/4 cup cheddar cheese
- 1/2 can of creamed corn
- 1/4 cup sour cream optional
- Preheat oven to 400
- Cook onions and add meat then potato, and spices in an oven safe cast iron pan or sauté pan until brown add water as needed to help cook
- Add vegetables as desired.
- Mix Cornbread mix with egg, milk flour and baking soda, sugar and salt. Mix well then add creamed corn jalapeno and cheese and stir in till combined.
- Drain any excess fat off picadillo as desired
- Remove from heat, add additional cheese as desired and cover meat with cornbread mixture
- Bake at 400 for 20 mins (until cornbread is done)
Tried this recipe?Let us know how it was!